Ship better APIs.
Optic helps you get the benefits of OpenAPI without slowing you down. Our CI tool makes it easy for developers to publish accurate API docs, avoid breaking changes, and ship high-quality APIs.
- OpenAPI is accurate
- No Breaking Changes
- New Endpoints follow v3 API Guidelines
Verified Accurate OpenAPI
Optic's test runner analyses your test traffic using a local proxy. It compares every request to the OpenAPI documentation and reports differences between an API's actual behavior and its documentation. If you run Optic with the --update flag, it will patch the specification inline.
- Accidental API changes
- are caught and reverted
- Planned API changes (design-first)
- get implemented correctly
- API Changes made code-first
- get documented accurately without writing YAML
OpenAPI version control
Review every API Change
Git diffs of code or OpenAPI files are not very good at communicating API changes. Sometimes one line of code can change multiple API endpoints. Optic diffs the actual API behavior, quickly computing the semantic diff between any two versions of your API. These API changelogs are posted to the Pull Request so every developer can review the code changes and the API changes before hitting "Approve".
- Stop shipping
- breaking changes and unplanned changes
- Communicate API changes
- with consumers
- See the full history
- of every API endpoint
Test your API changes
Optic is a smart API linter that your can trust not to get in thr way. Optic enforces your latest API style-guide on new endpoints, and a looser style-guide on existing endpoints. It will never tell you to follow a rule if it breaks an existing API.
- Enforce standards for
- versioning, security, and design
- One report
- for all your Spectral, Redoc or Optic rules
- Visual API diffs
- in every Pull Request
$ optic run
Run Optic in CI, ship great APIs
Manage the entire API lifecycle from your CI pipelines.
- 1Keep your OpenAPI up-to-date
- When new endpoints appear in traffic, Optic documents them. When existing endpoints start behaving differently, Optic flags the differences and helps you update the specification.
- 2Accurate Developer portal for your team
- The Optic Developer Portal always has the latest API documentation. Whenever an API change is proposed, approved, and merged, Optic CI pushes the latest version to your developer portal.
- 3Catch Breaking Changes
- Optic tracks every change to your API, flagging changes that will break consumers before they ship.
- 4Make Reviewing API Changes Easy
- Reading OpenAPI diffs in Git is difficult. Optic posts a link to a visual API diff to every Pull Request so API changes are understood and discussed during Code Reviews.
- 5Improve API Designs
- Optic helps developers follow a common API common style guide whenever they are adding new functionality to the API. Support for Spectral, Optic and Redoc rules built-in. Ship better APIs, faster
- 6Share Changelogs with Consumers
- Optic automatically writes daily API changelogs for your APIs. They appear in the Optic Developer Portal and can be embedded anywhere your consumers need them.
Start shipping better APIs.
Add Optic to your CI pipeline
Try locally, add to a GitHub or GitLab repo in minutes.
npx @useoptic/optic run
Want to chat APIs?
Join us on Discord